Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Corby Town FC app


Steelmen and Royals play out 8 goal thriller

By James McCafferty

An injury hit Corby Town side battled back to snatch a point in injury time at Coles Lane.

“Photo Courtesy of Mike Capps”

The Steelmen hit the West Midlands on Saturday looking to carry on the run of form that has seen them pick up 4 wins from 4 since Christmas day! The hosts themselves were on a 3 match unbeaten run and have pushed themselves into the play off picture after a slow start to the season.

With both teams starting at a frantic pace, it was Sutton Coldfield who opened the scoring on 10 minutes, a corner was flicked goalwards and into the path of the unmarked Nesbitt who poked home from a couple of yards.

Winger Letford was causing the hosts all sorts of problems and it was that man who had a big part in the 2nd goal for the hosts, his driving run was brought to a halt in the area and the referee awarded what appeared to be a harsh penalty. 'Keeper Dan George guessed the right way but Nesbitt struck his penalty with plenty of power and into the bottom corner.

Corby were slowly working their way back into the game, Crawford with a shot that was dragged wide before the visitors eventually did halve the deficit on 40 minutes. Ling played a pass into Jordan Francis on the edge of the area, the winger rolling his man before slotting between the legs of Cross to make it 2-1 to the hosts.

Corby smelt blood and pushed forward looking for an equaliser before the break but were caught on the counter, Nesbitt with lovely ball into the box for Piggon to head into the roof of the net to restore the 2 goal advantage.

Half Time Sutton Coldfield Town 3-1 Corby Town

The Steelmen were leading a charmed life, the hosts having 2 goals correctly ruled out for offside, and started the second half with purpose.

Elliot Sandy got in front of his man in the box but his header cleared the bar, and then the marksman turned provider as he set up Crawford, who from 30 yards sent a powerful curling effort just wide of the upright.

With the steelmen pushing for a way back into the game, the hosts should have made it 4, Piggon finding himself free in the box but blazing his effort high and wide when unmarked in the area.

On 64 minutes, Corby did pull one back. Dan George expertly picked out Sandy, Sandy headed down to Crawford, Crawford rolled out wide to Omotola, Omotola pulled back to just inside the area, and Elliot Sandy took a touch to compose himself before firing into the bottom corner.

3 minutes later and it was back to being a 2 goal cushion for Sutton, Piggon finding time and space to cross to the far post where the dangerous Letford was on hand to knock the ball home and make it 4-2 to the hosts.

Following the goal, the injured Delroy Gordon was replaced by Ashley Robinson.

The Royals seemed content to sit back and try and see the game out, Corby pushing forward with purpose but efforts on goal were rushed and either high, wide or both.

On 78 minutes the Steelmen did find the back of the net, Dan George again with a long kick, this time finding Jordan Francis, the winger nodding the ball into the path of Tol Omotola, who knocked the ball past the keeper before getting on the other end and rolling the ball home.

For the final 10 minutes the game was practically played in the hosts half, Warburton megging Ben George and drilling the ball across the area but nobody could manage to get on the end of the cross. Corby then had the ball in the net and thought they had got the equaliser their efforts deserved but the referee ruled the goal out for a foul on Tom Cross.

Crawford fired in an effort from 20 yards which went just wide before a spate of corners finally led to the goal the Steelmens attacking had deserved.

Sutton managed to defend 3 corners, and thought they had done enough this time when a defender rose high to head away from the onrushing Kennedy, his clearance falling out wide to Robinson who, in a match that was played at such a manic pace, found calmness to take a touch and lift the ball back to the edge of the 6 yard box, where Elliot Sandy rose highest to head home and gain a point that the Steelmen feel they very much deserved.

It was another high scoring entertaining game between the 2 sides that was something of the norm over the years, and both teams will be thinking what could have been, Corby feeling that the 2 points dropped in the title race will be disappointing, but the one point gained in such late dramatic circumstances could become valuable by the end of the season!

Full Time Sutton Coldfield Town 4-4 Corby Town!

Photo Courtesy of Mike Capps

Updated 11:44 - 30 Jan 2019 by James McCafferty

Where next?

Steel Park to host Weetabix Youth League Finals Corby Town are pleased to announce that Steel Park will again play host to the Weetabix Youth League Finals!
Volunteer Stewards Required The club are looking for volunteers who are willing to steward Corby Town home matches with full training provided.


Loading comments

Sun 30 Jun
Corby Town Girls U14's Barrow Town
Friendly 12:00
Fri 12 Jul
Corby Town Under 18's Coventry Sphinx
Friendly 19:45

News sponsors


Club sponsors