Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Corby Town FC app


Corby Town First Team - Match centre

Corby Town FC
Hertford Town FC
E Sandy (45'), J Carta (70')
Full time
Sat 8 Sep 15:00 - Cup Attendance 507



It has been a long time coming - far too long - but Corby Town have at last tasted success in the Emirates F.A Cup. After a 4-0 midweek Preliminary Round replay win away to Dunstable Town the Steelmen gained a victory over Hertford Town at Steel Park in the First Qualifying Round which was almost as convincing.
The only surprise was that Corby had not built up an unassailable lead during an opening period of almost total dominance. In the opening minutes a cross by Sam Warburton was headed wide at the far post by the over stretching Elliot Sandy. The Steelmen's first clear opening fell to Joel Carta but he headed over the top after skipper Gary Mulligan had flicked the ball onto the crossbar from a Ben Bradshaw corner.
Bradshaw then had a shot saved by Hertford goalkeeper Charlie Mann and Sandy was just unable to connect with another centre from the left by Warburton.
As Corby continued to bombard the visitor's goal Mann got to a Jordan Francis through ball a fraction ahead of Jordon Crawford and Sandy glanced a header wide from a centre by Francis.
Carta had one shot saved by Mann and hit another which curled agonisingly wide after patient build-up play involving Sandy, Bradshaw and Crawford and the overworked Mann then made a good block from Crawford after the Corby wide man had burst into the penalty box.
Warburton was the next to hit a shot narrowly off target and he then went closer still when he crashed a free kick from just outside the area against the bar. This was the result of some good captaincy by Mulligan who had called the defender up from the back to take the kick.
Hertford, it must be said, did muster sporadic attacks and their clearest opportunity fell to skipper Ollie Sharman who headed over from a David Keenleyside free kick.
Just as it seemed the visitors had survived the Steelmen's onslaught they gifted the hosts the lead in the first of three minutes of stoppage time at the end of the first half. A cross by Crawford was mis-controlled inside the penalty area by Keenleyside and the loose ball landed at the feet of Sandy who rolled it into the net.
There was still time for one hearts-in-mouth moment for Corby supporters when goalkeeper Dan George fell heavily after challenging George Lutaaya for a high ball but fortunately both players were able to continue after treatment.
Corby were forced to make their first change at half time with the injured Miles Smith being replaced by Jake Bettles and Connor Kennedy dropping from midfield to his former position of right back.
Bettles almost made an immediate impact as Mann was forced to make a decent block to deflect his goal bound effort wide after the Corby substitute had outpaced Sharman. To be honest, however, the Steelmen were never the dominant force after the interval that they had been during the opening forty five minutes.
Corby did continue to create chances with Carta having a shot saved by Mann and Bettles being penalised for an aerial challenge on the 'keeper. Warburton then sent in a dangerous centre from which Sandy could only prod the ball straight at Mann. And with twenty minutes remaining they cemented their place in the Second Qualifying round with a well-worked second goal. Francis chipped the ball into the area and although Sandy was unable to get a touch but Carta was there behind him to nod into the net from close range.
Two late Hertford chances both fell to substitute Tyler Hatherly. The first, an acrobatic overhead kick, was turned round the post by George - although referee Mr Christopher Bodell awarded a goal kick - while the second was hit over the bar.

CORBY TOWN:- Dan George, Miles Smith (substitute Jake Bettles), Sam Warburton; Joel Carta, Jamie Anton, Gary Mulligan (captain); Jordan Francis (substitute Zac Allen), Connor Kennedy, Elliot Sandy, Ben Bradshaw, Jordon Crawford (substitute Lee Garvie). Unused substitutes: Ashley Robinson, Dean McBride, Dan Smith (GK).

HERTFORD TOWN:- Charlie Mann; Joe Clemo, Macauley Joynes; Michael Toner, Jason Beck, Ollie Sharman (captain); David Keenleyside (substitute George Beattie), Charlie Ruff (substitute Mark Twumasi), Tommy Wade, Romeric Logan (substitute Tyler Hatherly, George Lutaaya. Unused substitutes: Todd Brownson, Matt Thomson, Chikosi Basden, Daryl Mitchell.

REFEREE:- Mr Christopher Bodell (Enfield).


The FA Respect: We Only Do Positive

Key moments

Goal Elliot Sandy scores for Corby Town FC
Goal Joel Carta scores for Corby Town FC

Videos and photos


View 0 new events
90:00 Sub On
Lee Garvie is substituted on for Corby Town FC
90:00 Sub Off
Jordon Crawford is substituted off for Corby Town FC
90:00 Clean Sheet Bonus
Dan George keeps a clean sheet for Corby Town FC
80:00 Sub Off
Jordan Francis is substituted off for Corby Town FC
80:00 Sub On
Zachory Allen is substituted on for Corby Town FC
70:00 Goal 2 - 0
Joel Carta scores for Corby Town FC
45:00 Sub Off
Miles Smith is substituted off for Corby Town FC
45:00 Sub On
Jake Bettles is substituted on for Corby Town FC
End of period 1
44:59 Goal 1 - 0
Elliot Sandy scores for Corby Town FC
Start of the game
Replay game

As it happened

  • Corby Town FC
  • Hertford Town FC
  • 0
  • Elliot Sandy Goal 44:59'
  • Miles Smith Sub Off 45:00'
  • Jake Bettles Sub On 45:00'
  • Joel Carta Goal 70:00'
  • Jordan Francis Sub Off 80:00'
  • Zachory Allen Sub On 80:00'
  • Jordon Crawford Sub Off 90:00'
  • Lee Garvie Sub On 90:00'

Team selection

George, Dan George, Dan
Smith, Miles Smith, Miles
Mulligan, Gary Mulligan, Gary
Crawford, Jordon Crawford, Jordon
Anton, Jamie Anton, Jamie
Warburton, Sam Warburton, Sam
Francis, Jordan Francis, Jordan
Kennedy, Connor Kennedy, Connor
Bradshaw, Ben Bradshaw, Ben
Sandy, Elliot Sandy, Elliot
Carta, Joel Carta, Joel
Corby Town FC


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors