Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Corby Town FC app



By David Tilley


“Joel Carta made space for a stunning shot which flew into the net.”

The Steelmen gained their second three point haul of the season on Bank Holiday Monday but made hard work of beating a side who created enough chances to have got something out of the game despite having their goalkeeper sent off in the first half.
Corby took to the field looking Manchester Cityesque in their sky blue shirts and white shorts but did not quite match the standards of the Premier League champions.
Early on Connor Kennedy hit one shot high over the bar and had another blocked by goalkeeper Paul Hathaway. In the ninth minute Sam Warburton fired in a shot which was too hot for Hathaway to hold and Greg Ling, making his first start, reacted quickest to prod the loose ball over the line.
Warburton then almost claimed a second assist as he rolled the ball into the path of Elliot Sandy who would have scored had it not been for a last-ditch tackle by Guy Clarke.
As Coleshill came into the game more they had loud penalty appeals for handball against Gary Mulligan correctly turned down by referee Jacob Lehane as the ball clearly hit the Corby skipper on the thigh. But they should really have equalised shortly after when Ryan Edmunds played the ball into the penalty area and the unmarked Liam Molesworth headed it over the bar from close range.
The home side's task then became a whole lot more difficult when Hathaway lunged at Jordan Francis feet first and brought down the Corby winger. Francis had already been flagged offside but Mr Lehane still produced a red card to send Hathaway back into the dressing room.
With no substitute 'keeper on the bench defender Rob Evans took over the gloves but did not have his prowess between the posts seriously tested as Corby were unable to put the stand-in under any real pressure.
The ten men gave as good as they got for the remainder of the first half and had a good attempt on goal in the final minute. The Colemen then went even closer to an equaliser at the start of the second half when Joe Smith headed against the inside of the post.
In the 49th minute, however, Joel Carta made space for himself on the edge of the box and hit a stunning shot which flew into the net to give Corby a bit of breathing space.
The home side still refused to give in and a cross by Edmunds, who was involved in most of Coleshill's better moves, crossed for Molesworth to once again head off target. Reece Leek then hit a shot goalwards but was denied by an excellent save by Dan George.
Corby were struggling to mount any flowing attacks and when they did get a sight of goal Elliot Sandy went for a shot which Evans saved at his near post when a pass inside to Jordon Crawford might have been a better option.
The final whistle blew with the Steelmen still 2-0 ahead and up to fourth place in the Division One Central table.

COLESHILL TOWN:- Paul Hathaway; Joe Cole, Giovanni Dainty; Rob Evans, Guy Clarke, Danny Tymon; Ryan Edmunds, Joe Smith (captain), Liam Molesworth, Reece Leek, Josh Webb. Substitutes: Joe Halsall, Matt Jackson, George Washbourne, Matt Gardner, Connor Doyle.

CORBY TOWN:- Dan George; Miles Smith, Sam Warburton; Greg Ling (substitute Ben Bradshaw), Jamie Anton, Gary Mulligan (captain); Jordan Francis (substitute Jake Bettles), Connor Kennedy, Elliot Sandy, Joel Carta (substitute Zac Allen), Jordon Francis. Unused substitutes: Ashley Robinson, Dean McBride.

REFEREE:- Mr Jacob Lehane.

Updated 13:22 - 10 Sep 2018 by James McCafferty


Loading comments

Sat 23 Mar
Corby Town First Team Bromsgrove Sporting
League 15:00
Sat 30 Mar
Corby Town First Team Berkhamsted
League 15:00
Sat 6 Apr
Corby Town First Team Aylesbury United
League 15:00

Team sponsors


Club sponsors