Sat 05
Corby Town First Team
C Wise (69'), S Diggin (73'), G Mulligan (90' Sent Off)
Steelmen go Third

Steelmen go Third

By James McCafferty
Share via

Corby Town 2-0 Biggleswade

A Saturday home game for the first time since August brought a return to winning ways for the Steelmen!

With Dan George picking up and injury against AFC R&D on Tuesday night, Josh Carpenter made his second debut for the Steelmen, with Greg Ling coming in to the side in place of Elliot Sandy.

It was a slow start to the game, Carpenter making his first save of the season after 14 minutes, turning the ball behind for a corner that was cleared by the Steelmen back line. Joe Burgess stung the palms of the keeper with a shot from range before Jordon Crawford saw the keeper get finger tips on his long range effort and divert onto the post.

Corby thought they had taken the lead on 30 minutes, Stephen Diggin racing away from the defence and lifting the ball over the keeper from 30+ yards, but the linesman cut short the celebrations, flagging for offside.

Greg Ling then found himself in the box twice in the space of two minutes, firstly heading the ball past the on rushing keeper but the angle was tight and his effort was into the side netting. he midfielder then burst forward and Callum Westwood's long range pass was just millimeters away from being the perfect assist and the chance had gone.

Skipper Jake Duffy then took his chance from range but again Josephs was on hand and this time tipped the effort over the bar.

Half Time Corby Town 0-0 Biggleswade

Corby again started on top, Crawford picked out Diggin but his attempted lob ended up on the roof of the net.

The game was turned on its head in the 67th minute. Matt Richardson was one of a number of players who had been hacking their way through the Steelmen attack and, rather unfortunately, found himself as the straw that broke the camels back for the ref as he received a second yellow card.

The FC defence cleared the free kick, but when the ball was played back in, centre back CHARLIE WISE watched the ball come down with snow on it before unleashing an unstoppable powerful volley to open the scoring!

3 minutes later and it was 2! This time Joe Burgess crossed from the right, the defender headed high and out towards the edge of the area. It was here that STEPHEN DIGGIN was waiting, picking his spot and expertly sending his volley into the left hand corner!

What was almost the perfect afternoon was spoiled somewhat in the 90th minute, Gary Mulligan and Adam Drakulic receiving their marching orders for violent conduct. Again, it seemed like a harsh decision as there was more petulance in the actions than violence, but a clean sheet and 3 points is all that mattered in the end!

Full Time Corby Town 2-0 Biggleswade FC

Share via

Match details

Match date

Sat 05, Oct 2019






Division One Central

League position

Corby Town
Jake Duffy

Player of the match

Jake Duffy